Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Start

Dear Reader,
 I'm starting this blog as an effort to keep some sort of organized record of my progress and process in my WISE project; which, in essence, is fashion design. My project concept is centered around the idea of taking fantasy fashion- focusing mainly on Steampunk and [Modern] Renaissance- and turning them into several comfortable, versatile outfits that I could wear day-to-day; but still contain key elements to their corresponding genre. I need to have at least four outfits by the end of the school year.
Mainly what will be found on this blog will be summaries of my week, excerpts from my journal, scans of design concepts, and photos that correspond to what I'm doing or of my progress.

In explanation for those of you who are unfamiliar with the genres I've chosen to work within, both are based around specific time periods, but are given a bit of a twist.

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, and speculative fiction that came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s.[1] Steampunk involves a setting where steam power is still widely used—usually Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States—that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc. (Wiki)





[Modern] Renaissance is based roughly between the 14th and the 17th century (though most people associate it with the middle ages), and deals more in fantasy and magic; Many people are more aware of this culture due to its high publicity rate through things such as Robin Hood, King Arther, and even Lord of the Rings (though LOTR doesn't exactly fit within M.R., but that's something else altogether).



 It's going to be interesting to see what I can do with these styles, but I'm looking forward the possibilities.
Hopefully my next post will include some scans of designs  from my notebook. 'Till next time, Kathryn.

1 comment:

  1. Kathryn,

    I'm really impressed with your first blog entry - you've shown so much passion and dedication to your project choice!

    I also think that the photos were very helpful with your descriptions of the different genres. Please continue to incorporate them as they only do you good.

    Question:

    Are you going to focus more on female clothing, as you seem to be more intrigued by that, or are you planning to focus on both genders equally?

    Are there any unisex outfits for these genres?


    Can't wait to see more of your designs/posts!

    -Ryan H.

    ReplyDelete